Doose Syndrome

Myoclonic-Astatic Epilepsy (MAE) or Doose Syndrome is a rare form of childhood epilepsy that contains many seizure types and is difficult to control. Our journey started in January 2012 and this blog is to let family and friends follow us on our journey. I hope this blog also helps educate people about epilepsy and Doose Syndrome.

Michelle

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Onset of Seizures

Our journey started in January 2012 when we noticed Joshua would hit his head on the table sometimes for no apparent reason.  We did not think too much of it at the time as we thought he was being a typical 3 (almost 4) year-old and was possibly playing around too much or being clumsy.  We started noticing these in the first few weeks of January and Joshua had his 4-year check up scheduled at the end of January so I thought I would ask the pediatrician about it at that time as it did not happen very often.  While waiting for that appt., my mom saw him hit his head on the table at her house and asked me what it was.  I told her I didn't know, but it happens sometimes and I was going to mention it to the pediatrician. 

My Mom was concerned about what she saw so she started doing some internet research and found something called "Atonic Seizures".  Mom sent me the link to read and when I read it I said "that is exactly it!".  I called the pediatrician's office the next day and got our appt. moved up (two days later).  My Mom emailed me on Sunday, January 22nd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment