Doose Syndrome

Myoclonic-Astatic Epilepsy (MAE) or Doose Syndrome is a rare form of childhood epilepsy that contains many seizure types and is difficult to control. Our journey started in January 2012 and this blog is to let family and friends follow us on our journey. I hope this blog also helps educate people about epilepsy and Doose Syndrome.

Michelle

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Special Education Preschool and Work

I went to an epilepsy support group at the end of February and one of the other Moms mentioned "Child Find" to me and that it was free, special education preschool through the school district for children who qualify.  After reading about how so many Doose kids (we call them Doosies) have problems with speech and other areas of school I thought it would be a good idea to have him assessed and our neurologist agreed.  Joshua went for his initial screening on March 21st and he failed every thing they tested him in (meaning he did not pass the tests and would more than likely qualify for the preschool).  They tested him on speech, motor skills (gross and fine) and learning.  In order for them to put him in a classroom they have to do a deeper assessment so we have a follow-up appt. scheduled for May 2nd.  I will find out on that day if qualifies for the school and if he does, they will place him in a class.  I am not sure if we will have to wait for the fall to place him or if we will get into the last few weeks of this school year. Although it was hard to hear that he failed I wasn't too surprised as I (and others) had already seen a regression in his speech and learning.  His motor skills may be affected by the medications because he loses his balance a lot and is un-steady on his feet.  More to come on this after our next assessment............

I am currently working reduced hours (20 per week) to help get through all of this and until we are a bit more stable.  I am working 4 hours a day and am home by about 12:45 every day.  I try to schedule Joshua's appt.'s in the afternoon, but if I can't or it is an all-day appt. then I take the day off (I am now out of sick leave!).  Chip is working swing shift so he is home with him in the mornings and then I am home in the afternoons.  It is working well for now. 

It is almost a full-time job to make appt.'s, attend appt.'s, call insurance companies, fill out paperwork, conduct research, get labs drawn, get new meds at the pharmacy every time they increase his dosage (which is a lot), call the Dr. to tell her about the latest change in seizures, chart/track the seizures, etc.  I am lucky that I can work the reduced hours so that I can have the time to do these other things.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle~if you need any support when it comes to child find and preschool, let me know. I'd be happy to chat with you :)-Linnea

    ReplyDelete