Doose Syndrome

Myoclonic-Astatic Epilepsy (MAE) or Doose Syndrome is a rare form of childhood epilepsy that contains many seizure types and is difficult to control. Our journey started in January 2012 and this blog is to let family and friends follow us on our journey. I hope this blog also helps educate people about epilepsy and Doose Syndrome.

Michelle

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pediatrician Appointment - January 24, 2012

On January 24th we took Joshua to the pediatrician with printed out information regarding Atonic seizures and showed her the parts I had highlighted that fit his exact symptoms.  I told her I know I should not diagnose off the internet, but that I was pretty sure he was having seizures.  Our pediatrician (Dr. Hendrie) is amazing and she said she believed me and that she did not have to see them to refer me.  She referred me to a neurologist and ordered an MRI and EEG.  She also told us to start a seizure tracking log and try to capture some of the seizures on video as it would be helpful for the neurologist.  The reason she ordered the MRI was to rule out a brain tumor or any other serious brain issues that could potentially be causing the seizures. 

We now had to wait to find out for sure if he had a brain tumor (or something else) and if he was indeed having seizures.  Luckily, we did not have to wait long......

No comments:

Post a Comment